Sunday, February 27, 2011

Day 58: Alice in Wonderland

Technique-wise, this probably isn't the best shot I took today.  Not very good light, out of focus, and it looks uneven.  However, I liked how this little girl reminded me so much of myself as a kid.  Lost in a world all her own in the presence of a book.  She didn't even notice me taking pictures.  I remember that engrossed feeling.  Like an Alice in Wonderland in the prescence of books.  Back then, there wasn't any fancy bookstore around other than National Bookstore.  The floors were linoleum and there weren't any chairs available for you to sit on.  Still, a book in hand can transport me from a crowded bookstore to a secret garden, filled with magical elves, missing princesses, good witches and talking frogs. 

Admittedly, I do not venture into fairy tales anymore.  Life has managed to make me jaded enough to break the rose-colored glasses.  It allows me to see reality as what it is.  I no longer get so engrossed in stories, too.  I used to spend summer days not doing anything but reading.  Forgetting sleep and food sometimes.  I can't do that anymore.  The real world calls, and I'm sometimes on speed dial.  I envy that girl, though.  I envy that ability to get lost in a wonderland.  I can't afford that now.  I can believe in fairy tales, but I can't afford to get lost in it anymore.  The pains of adulthood. 

I hope this Alice (Avril Lavigne) grows up without having to envy anyone who'll remind her of herself. 

10 comments:

  1. *sigh* I cannot even find time to read a book nowadays. And same here. If I ever go inside a bookstore I don't venture in the fairy tales section anymore. Instead nasa manga section na ako. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww.... take some time sis to read pa rin. Good thing pala we have a book club in GT.

    I was already planning the upcoming months since bar exams is right around the corner. Ang iniisip ko, I have to squeeze in some pleasure reading pa rin haha Baliw ko talaga kung kaya ko yun pero susubukan. I keep telling myself, reading other books aside from school books is what keeps me sane.

    While I don't read fairy tale books anymore, I have something to look forward to and that is to share my passion for books with my nephew and niece.

    P.S. Kamusta ang punta mo sa Muji? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Pink: Kalungkot no? I promised myself to read at least one book a month. Kaya naman, pero dapat yata mag-revisit ako ng classics. :)

    @Dianne: The book club helps, really. Pero di ako makakasama sa discussion this month. Di ko nabasa yung I am Number Four. Pero natapos ko naman yung The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. :D

    Hihi... Nabaliw ako sa Muji! :D Bumili ako ng pens. Pero ang gusto kong balikan e yung isang jar ng colored markers at yung malaking box ng colored pencils. Pretty! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. same issues haha. well, in fairness to adult life...we will fall apart talaga if we go back to that stage the girl is in, that "lost in wonderland" phase. there are just so many things that command our attention. simple things we depended on our parents before to take care of like chores and bills and taxes. routine that they are, boring as they are, they make up the bulk of our survival. no choice talaga eh no? kainis. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. @mooncake: True. Well, we deal with what we have, right? Wala talagang choice. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sis Faith, bawi next month :) I assure you the next book is also worth reading.

    About sa Muji, tinitingnan ko din yang markers na yan haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Dianne: Actually, kaya ko nasa Fully Booked e para bumili ng Remains of the Day. Walang copy. :( Pero nakakuha ako ng Never Let Me Go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I know why hahahaha Kasi nag-iisa nalang yun nung binili ko.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Dianne: Haha... Hanap na lang ako sa Powerbooks siguro. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kaya naman, pero dapat yata mag-revisit ako ng classics. :)

    Naku... I remembered my monthly book report during high school. One time classic yung pinareport... pumili ako ng medyo bongga ang title. *nagnosebleed* tuloy ako haha. I felt sleepy 'coz wala akong maintindihan. Actually di ko natapos. Depende siguro sa story. hehe.

    Now I really have to go to Kinokuniya this Saturday.

    ReplyDelete