Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Day 46: Restart

In the interest of art, I bought a fountain pen the same day I went home with about five pounds of rainforest produce.  I like writing, but I was never really fond of fountain pens.  Which should be interesting, considering that a lot of my artsy fartsy friends prefer writing with a fountain than a ballpoint.  However, I'm left-handed, and I grew up experiencing prejudice to a lefty.  Every design, concept, architecture and activity I could think of was formatted with a right-handed individual in mind.  Think of doors, keyboards, faucets, and musical instruments.  (I remember the first thing my music teacher asked me when I told him I'm left-handed, "The violin is a right-handed instrument, it's not going to be easy for you.  Are you up to the challenge?"  Arrogant little brat that I was, I said yes.) 

Then there were writing instruments.  The fountain pen was not exactly designed for a lefty.  Writing in slants isn't exactly comfortable for my left hand.  But arrogant little brat that I still am, I decided to challenge it.  The fascinating thing really is, after years of literacy, I am now practicing how to write like I was five.  Funny, it's like going back to the Start (Depapepe).

9 comments:

  1. Nice! Pag nasanay ka na sis, iiwan mo na sila ballpens haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... Di pa ko sanay, sis. Hindi ko pa nga siya magamit sa office dahil deredecho sulat ko dun, minsan kahit naglalakad nagsusulat ako. Saka na, pag medyo kampante na ko. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ako never pa yata nakagamit ng fountain pen. Sige next time when I chance upon one, I'll but it to try din :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Joanne: Good luck, sis! I think it's easier kung hindi ka lefty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lamys are friendly daw for left-handed people :)
    http://blog.shopwritersbloc.com/fountain_pens/lefthanded_fountain_pen_use_pa_1.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Dianne: Hmm... Eto ba ang sign para kumuha ako ng Lamy? Haha... :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha I think so! Naghahanap lang ako ng mga LE colors ng Safaris tapos yan yung naka-link sa baba. Its a sign!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck sis! I'm sure masasanay ka rin. I'm planning to get myself a fountain pen also. Haven't had the time to do this though. Maybe this weekend I'll see if I can finally get one for myself. Hope I can finally get the hang of using this. I always had trouble using one before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck satin, sis. The Jotter's working for me naman. Pero para pa din kahig ng manok sulat ko sa kanya. Haha...

    ReplyDelete