Saturday, June 25, 2011

Day 176: Varekai

Today, I watched Cirque du Soleil's Varekai.

I have always dreamed of watching a Cirque du Soleil show.  The minute I found out that the famous troupe was going to Manila, I knew I would watch it.  I had to watch it.  Come what may.  I guess, the "come what may" part was sorely tested when it rained like crazy on Saturday morning.  I was checking the weather reports and trying to find out what things might keep me from watching it.  Thank God, the sky cleared up on Saturday afternoon.  This was something we waited three whole months for.

It was fantastic!  Albeit, I did no get to bring my camera for decent pictures (Their website says strictly no camera, I did not think they meant strictly no use of, so I left Nino home).  It made sense that the show lasted for two hours, I'd probably have a heart attack with all the excitement if it lasted longer.  I must have spent a good hour just clapping like crazy.

The show was just marvelous.  I don't think I can dislike a Cirque du Soleil show.  Imagine the kind of hard work and discipline those artists go through to create one show.  Cirque is known for having everything in the show done by their performers.  They would not use anything technical if they can help it.  Even the music is live.  Even the lights for Varekai were manned.  Other shows would normally have a lighting director who sits in a booth to control the lights.  They had people up those rafters, manually moving the lights.  They do live up to their philosophy, that everything is humanly possible.

I know it's not the biggest production of Cirque, but it was amazing nevertheless.  It has made me resolve to watch as many Cirque shows as I can.  The one I'd truly want to see is 'O' at the Bellagio.  Maybe, I can put it up on my bucket list.

12 comments:

  1. Wow sis mukhang masaya nga ha! If I were there too, baka 2hrs din ako pumapalakpak non-stop. Hehe.. I wish I could watch a Cirque du Soleil show in the future too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isa to sa mga gusto kong mapanood. Mukhang nag-enjoy ka talaga sis. Sana ako rin I'll get the chance to watch them live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am excited na tuloy sis! So I can bring my camera pala pero I cannot use it inside the show no?

    I have a PM pala sa FB about the seating. Nalito kasi ako bigla kung ano ang pinaka-maganda sa Level 1.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Joanne: It was so exciting for me. Di ko kasi napanood ang Zaia when I was in Macau. I want to make sure it's part of the itinerary when I get back. Sumakit talaga kamay ko kakapalakpak. :D

    @Pink: I'm already thinking of the shows I want to watch and how possible is it for me to watch them. For now, yung mga feasible muna. :)

    @Dianne: Yep, sis. Bring your camera. Just don't use it inside the theater. Have fun, sis! I want to watch it again. Kalabisan lang talaga. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sabihan mo lang ako sis kung gusto mo manuod ulit hahaha Sabay tayo!

    Ako di ko napanuod yung Lion King nung nasa SG ako. Nakakainis!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Dianne: Naku, sis. Gusto ko, kaya lang manonood din kasi ako ng concert ng Incubus. Kaya hindi pwede. :( Iniisip ko na kung paano ako makakanood ng ibang Cirque shows. If I go back to Macau this year, I will watch Zaia. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was intrigued when I also heard that Cirque du Soleil is coming to Manila. Initially, I thought it corny but based on your review, I think I'm wrong. Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Reggie: Maganda siya, sis! Super love Cirque! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Inggit ako sis! super... gusto ko din mapanuod but tickets are so expensive :( I hope my sister will bring me along. She has two free tickets... but I think she will be bringing her husband instead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Chew On This: Worth it naman siya, sis. Naisip ko nga, kahit yung pinaka-murang ticket e worth it dahil hindi malaki yung venue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. nakakainggit ka naman sis! gusto ko manood kaso ang layo ko :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. @mango_shake: Sayang, sis. Ako kasi e pangarap talagang makanood ng Cirque du Soleil. So, kahit siguro malayo ako e alam kong gagawan ko ng paraan na makanood ako. :)

    ReplyDelete