Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 173: Mirror, Mirror

A self portrait.

I really wanted to take a picture of a mirror, as I think it is symbolic of how my day was.  However, I do not have those fancy gilded mirrors in my apartment.  The top half of my living room wall has this humongous mirror, though, and I decided to improvise.

I have a way of gauging my growth as a person.  This is going to sound a bit psychotic, but I take a look at myself in front of a mirror.  I look at myself and see if I like the person staring back at me.  If I like this person better than the person looking back at me a year ago, then I must have done something right.  Today, I had one of those brutal moments where I had to look at myself and decide whether I like myself better today.  I do, and somehow I don't.  There are pieces of me that I see and I want to smash into pieces.  There are parts of me that I really like better.  Regardless of what I see right now, what's important is what happens after.  If I work hard enough on those things I don't like seeing, I know that Someday I'll Be Good Enough (Bodyslam).

8 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Nice insight. I only ever use the mirror for its superficial use. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @blackshirt13: Hahaha... I often use it for it's superficial use, too. Sometimes, it's just useful for reflection, as well. Pun intended. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of using the mirror that way. Pag di ako aalis ng bahay, I never bother checking myself in the mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Dianne: Ako din. Nakakatamad kasi. I use it pala, when brushing my teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ako naman sometimes i scare myself when i look at my eyes in the mirror for a long time. after a while it seems like someone else is looking back at me or i'm looking at someone else already. creepy i know but i still end up doing it. i guess it's normal that i feel a bit scared and i'm thinking that maybe once i start to not feel scared then something's wrong with me na. try it sometimes too and see how it feels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @silentbleeding: Hmmm... I have done that before. On hindsight, it is a bit creepy. That's probably one reason why I say I look at myself and gauge. I do not want to look at my reflection and not recognize myself. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, ang galing.

    "If I like this person better than the person looking back at me a year ago, then I must have done something right. Today, I had one of those brutal moments where I had to look at myself and decide whether I like myself better today. I do, and somehow I don't."

    ReplyDelete