Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day 169: Dolce Far Niente

The sweetness of doing nothing.  

I spent most of Saturday just lounging.  All I did was set territory on my couch and watch movies until my eyes hurt.  Even then I didn't turn the TV off.  These were light movies, anyway.  Not much thinking required.  I got to watch some favorite classics, like Amelie and Funny Face, and some new ones I haven't seen.  Like Eat, Pray, Love.  

I read Eat, Pray, Love a couple of years back.  This was the book that launched a thousand soul searches through travel.  I thought it was lovely book, really.  I enjoyed reading Elizabeth Gilbert's chronicle of her year eating, praying and loving.  I remember also looking forward to watching the film, but somehow never got around to doing so.  I think the movie did well, considering.  I have learned to accept that there will always be missing pieces in an adaptation.  One of my favorite things, both from the book and the movie, was her interlude in Italy.  It's one of the places I have always dreamed of seeing.  Someday, I know I'm going to see and experience it.  For the time being, at least as far as my weekends are concerned, I try to emulate the Italian art of doing nothing.  Dolce far niente. 

8 comments:

  1. Sis I remember yan ang book natin for our book club before. That was 2 years ago na nga. Wow. Ang bilis ng panahon.

    And like you, siempre fave ko ang Italy because I love food. I want to eat the pizza they talked about. Yung tig-isang buo sila nung kasama nya pumunta. :)

    I haven't seen the movie too. Hmmm.. I'll DL it nga para mapanood ko na din :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Joanne: Korek, sis. Yun din ang favorite ko dun. Gusto kong ma-try yung pizza sa Naples. Balang araw makakatikim din ako nun. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Onga, ang bilis ng panahon! While we were discussing Italy, nagugutom lang tayo haha

    I am still loyal to India. Na-attached ako sa mga ginawa niya. I haven't seen the movie though. I saw a couple of minutes of it pero tinigil ko. Iba kasi yung nasa imagination ko sa movie. Parang ayaw ko magbago LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Dianne: Haha... May mga bagay nga na iba sa imagination ko. Pero ayos naman siya. Hindi naman sobrang disappointing. Dahil nga diyan e eto at nagagamit ko ang kusina ko. Hahaha... :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sis yun nga yata yun, yung pizza sa Naples! When she was talking about it sa book kasi, it sounded like napakasarap nya talaga. If ever I would be fortunate enough to go to Italy, I would be sure to look for that place and try their pizza talaga :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Joanne: Ako din, sis. I want to have an entire pizza for myself. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yey! Amelie.. my favorite! Napanood mo na yung A Good Year? Ganda din yun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @em.em: I haven't seen A Good Year. Pero hahanapin ko. :)

    ReplyDelete