Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 25: On Lost Art




There was a discussion I joined recently that talked about lost art.  Then, while I was going through the other Project 365 blogs, mooncake talked about her lost art.  It got me thinking about my own lost art.  I think we all have that.  That one passion we abandoned somewhere.  It's the violin for me. 

I used to play the violin.  Used to.  I can say that comfortably now.  It was difficult for me to say that for some time, because I had a hard time accepting that I probably will not play music again.  Not that I was exceptional in it.  My level of expertise with the violin was mediocre at best.  I didn't learn it because I wanted to make a career out of it, though.  I just wanted to play.  I love music, although, music would not always love me.  My violin, though, have always loved me back.  It was patient with me, but I wasn't as patient with it.  Neither did I devote as much time for it as it deserved.  So, even if it was just there, I lost it.  I lost the art.  Unlike the others, this is probably one lost art I will let go of.

Favorite piece: Canon in D - Pachelbel

5 comments:

  1. Awww... I wanted to play the violin when I was a kid but my parents told me to play the piano instead and since I hated piano (and still up to this day because of that incident), I refused to play at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... natawa naman ako, sis. Nakipagmatigasan ka daw talaga sa parents mo. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naku, they have this sick and twisted idea kasi na if I played the violin, tatabingi daw yung neck ko that's why they insist on the piano. Nung nauso naman yung bamboo flute, ayaw din nila kasi daw magkaka-beke naman ako. I proved them wrong when I bought one and played it for months. So far ang bamboo flute lang ang alam kong tugtugin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've lost many I guess, some are not entirely lost because I never had them in me anyway. An example would be ballet. I don't know what my mother was thinking, I could not even reach my toes(¬_¬). Anyway, the thing is even though we lose some, gain some too and maybe more . . . man is a continuous learner ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Dianne: Haha...di ko naisip yun ah. Yung professionals, kinakalyo yung panga nila. Hindi naman ako professional, kaya hindi ko inabot yun. :D

    @pomegranate: True. I've lost some art, but I've probably recovered more. And yes, the learning never ends. :)

    ReplyDelete