Monday, April 25, 2011

Day 115: Simmer & Boil Over

I'm cooking.  I'm. Cooking.  I'm actually cooking.  Good Lord!

If you've been reading my posts, you should have been able to figure out that I'm not exactly the domesticated type.  I did not own a stove for several years, and even when I was staying at my parent's home, I never actively sought to be near it.  I love food, but I prefer to eat it than create it.  I sometimes think that cooking takes the joy out of eating.  You slave yourself over a stove, basking in the aroma of your dish that by the time you're done you're either too tired to feed or too full from the scent of food.  What's also curious, is that I was born in a family where it's the men who cook.  The women cook sometimes, but it's primarily the men who uses the kitchen.  They cook very well, too.  An uncle, whose family I visit very rarely, would cook me one of my favorite dishes whenever I stay over, Ginataang Alimasag sa Kalabasa.  It was always so divine!

I'm like my mother, on the other hand.  My mother does not cook.  There's a difference between not doing and not knowing, though.  It's just not an activity we enjoy doing all the time.  The funny thing is, my mother has a complete kitchen set.  When they came over to visit a couple of weeks ago, she bought me the electric stove out of pity, and asked my cousins to bring the pots to my apartment.  I ignored it for a couple of weeks,  until I got sick and needed the stove to prepare my chicken noodles (When you're sick, it's imperative to have chicken noodles).  Now that I'm feeling better, I can choose to ignore it again.  However, I saw an instant champorado mix sold at the store on the way home.  So, here I am eating my champorado and thinking I'm beginning to take baby steps to getting domesticated.  God forbid.

13 comments:

  1. Yey! haha I will never be domesticated and my family laughs at it. I sat near the stove/oven and admittedly, I have no clue how to operate it.

    Whoever invented instant food is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dianne: I'm not the worst I know of, sis. I have a friend, kasama ko sa isang outing, nagluto ng instant champorado. Kamusta namang naging biko ang champorado. :D I turned the stove on for her at gulat na gulat siya. It's like man discovered fire. Hahaha... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. naku, sis.. you'll eventually learn how to cook.. i was like that before- love to eat but hated cooking... then i accidentally learned how to cook pasta and the rest is history :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @photoparjour: Then you became a Kitchen Goddess. Hmm... So may pag-asa pa ko? Ulk. Kinakabahan na ko.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too, I never was the domestic type. I can cook rice (chamba pa), some pasta and shrimp tempura. But that's about it. Haha. Oh, and fried stuff like hotdogs and eggs too. And of course, ang walang kamatayang instant noodles at pancit canton. Otherwise, wala kang aasahan sa kin sa mga adobo o nilaga o sinigang o mga de rekadong ulam. Gusto ko matuto mag-bake kaso sira naman oven namin kaya good luck. =P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sis we have the exact same set of pots like the one in your picture. Yung sa Pinas pala ha, hindi dito. Wala ako nakikita ganyan dito.

    Ako naman I enjoy cooking pero hindi ako good cook. I mean for me kc, a good cook would be someone who has a natural instinct on what would taste good. Ako kc hindi eh. I follow a recipe by the book and if it doesn't taste good for me, 80& of the time I wouldn't know what to do na to make it taste right. Another thing pa is I can't seem to remember the recipes. I have to have a kodigo most of the time. That's why I don't consider myself good at cooking. Too bad kc it's about the only chore that I enjoy. I loathe cleaning anything with a passion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @blackshirt13: Mainam ka pa sakin, sis. Meron ka pang some pasta at shrimp tempura. Ako, yung instant lang. Yun na yun. Yun na yung sukat ng culinary talent ko. :D

    @Joanne: Nakakagutom kaya yung mga niluluto mo. Nami-miss ko na nga eh. Nami-miss ko ng magutom sa post mo. :P

    May mga kaibigan akong nagsasabi sakin na mae-enjoy ko din daw magluto kung meron ako talagang kitchen. I have yet to test that theory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! Good for you that you can cook. I can't. Good luck to me and to my future family. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Reggie: Hi, sis! Ang future family ko e mabubuhay sa instant pancit canton. Hahaha... :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha! I can relate big time. I have never tried cooking until the time I left home to work somewhere else. And until now I'm stuck to instant cooking (na always pinaparinig sa akin ng roommate ko). Kung medyo complicated man I should have a copy of easy instructions to follow plus not so complicated ingredients. I don't think I'll ever be a good cook.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Pink: Hehe... I have very limited knowledge in cooking. At wala sa hinuha ko na pagbutihin ang kaalaman ko dun. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. just like sis p!nkroma, i sooo can relate. Loves to eat but hates to cook. For years, my bestfriend had been the microwave!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @mydailycapture: I actually lived for several years on take-out. Not healthy, I know, but I'm sure it won't be much better if I cooked.

    ReplyDelete