Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Day 109: Trinkets and Amulets

A constant in local cabs are trinkets and amulets supposedly guaranteeing your safe journey.  This is in the one I rode today.  I am constantly in taxi cabs.  For a spoiled urbanite, this is the preferred mode of transportation.  I think I lost patience with mass public transportation after quitting my last job.  If ever I have any, then there's very little left of it.  However, since I don't drive, and have no real active desire to learn, I stick with cabs.

I've had several fascinating stories about riding in cabs.  Some of them, hell stories about using the damned meter.  The worst ones are in the South.  They do not really understand the concept of using a meter.  Some stories, are pretty fascinating ones.  Like the cab driver who rides a swanky Altis and whose children have graduated with degrees in Engineering.  He wanted to continue working so he won't get bored.  Since he's in the retiring age, he asked his kids to buy him a taxi franchise.  Some stories, are really just plain interesting.  One cab driver who was truly pleasant, bless his soul, caught me in a bad time.  Start of day without coffee.  I was very quiet and barely conversational, with my earphones stuck in my ears, when I asked him to take me to our office building.  Probably trying to engage me in conversation, he asked me what company I worked for.  In the flattest morning tone I could muster, I asked him why did he need to know that.  He looked utterly shocked.  I sat there waiting for a response not realizing that I just bit his head off and chewed on it.  Then he said, "Grabe, ma'am.  Sa lahat ng tinanong ko, wala pang nang-sopla sakin ng ganyan."  He caused my first smile for that day.

Sounds like someone's Rolling In The Deep (Adele).

6 comments:

  1. Sis! Meron akong parang ganyan na necklace haha!
    Please refer to these links:

    http://www.annamyleenphotographs.com/2010/07/lovely-trinkets.html

    http://www.photoblog.com/iluvpics21/2009/12/06/

    At alam mo ba title ko dun sa isa lovely trinkets, tapos yung isa naman lucky charm. Coincidence much? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @MyeAlexis: Hey! Onga no? Mukhang related sila. :D That was a nice photo, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad is obsessed with trinkets. Parang bata lang lol I used to have a blue car (which I don't drive by the way) at meron dun blue bear na galing Mcdo. Then sa isang car namin may tiget naman, sa isa may koala. Parang zoo lang ang mga sasakyan namin haha

    With cab drivers naman, I mentioned it before. Kwela yung driver na nakausap namin papuntang Glorietta. My friend and I were talking about Charmed. Yung friend ko was asking why Prue had to die at may bagong sister nga (Paige). So I was explaining kasi updated ako at adik sa show na yun when the cab driver talked and asked if he could interrupt us since he also watches the show. Ayun, 2 na sila ang nagtatanong sa akin. When he dropped us off Glorietta, ang laki ng smile naming 3 haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Dianne: Haha... Ang kulit nung driver na yun, sis. Madami din akong masayang kwento about taxi drivers. Sa dami siguro, pwede na kong gumawa ng collection. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waaaaah...sis nawala yung comment ko. Novela pa naman siya sa haba tapos nung sinubmit ko nawala :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Joanne: Aw... Sayang, sis. :( Kwentong taxi din ba?

    ReplyDelete