Sunday, March 6, 2011

Day 65: Next-Door Neighbor

To be honest, I don't really know my next-door neighbors.  I'm not entirely the neighbourly type.  Right outside my window, though, this is what you'll see.  The building I live in is right next to a church.  I sometimes joke that I hardly miss Sunday mass.  I wake up to it. 

If truth be told, though, I haven't heard mass in a really long time.  So long, I've forgotten when was the last time I actually heard one.  With me in the church, that is.  I know that the last time I've been inside a church was because of a baptism.  These days, you don't necessarily have to go through a mass to get baptized.  Which tells you another irony about me.  For someone named Faith, I'm not very religious.  I'm not an atheist, don't get me wrong.  I believe in God.  How can this entire universe be so beautiful and amazing without a mastermind behind it?  Besides, He's about the only constant entity there is.  Everyone else will manage to fail me, except Him.  It's the religion I'm not entirely comfortable with. 

I'm not saying that the Church is bad or wrong ar anything like that.  I just find it difficult to understand how a God so good will punish me so much for cursing every now and then (I've got it better now, believe me.  I used to curse like a sailor until I got surrounded by kids).  I'm not going to start talking against a God people believe in or talk about what I believe in.  This photoblog was not intended for that purpose.  I think that's a choice we all make and have to respect.  But, if anyone's interested about my religion, I'm more or less a nominal Catholic bordering agnostic.

Ending the weekend music: I Run To You (Lady Antebellum)

5 comments:

  1. i wish i have a better reason like yours for skipping church every once in a while. tinatamad lang talaga ako minsan haha. but i realized that i needed to make an effort. it helps. like you, some stuff about religion, i don't really understand and other stuff, i don't really agree with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @mooncake: Wala talaga akong excuse, sis. I hear it on Sunday mornings, but I would have the music on. So, I don't really listen to it. I turn it down kapag practice ng choir. Dahil lang I like choir music. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. About neighbors, I am guilty. Probably for more than 10 years of my life, I don't know our neighbors. I am a home buddy kasi eh so it doesn't make sense to me to befriend them when I am stucked in my room for most of the day. At dahil sa neighbors na yan, I don't bother knowing some of my classmates too haha Its like kilala nila ako pero sila hindi so for more ewan ang tawag eh "classmate" ang tawag ko sa kanila then I will find a friend then ask him or her what's my classmate's name. Its not that I am not friendly pero effort kasi, you know? hahahaha

    With church naman, the last I went was my brother's wedding. I'm not a huge church goer unlike my siblings na every Sunday, together with their family, they went to church. Like you, its not that I don't believe there is a God but for me, believing in God shouldn't be manifested by going to mass or church lang. It should also be by deeds. Simba ka nga ng simba pero you don't follow the word of God, mas pangit naman yun diba.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Dianne: I remember a conversation I had with a friend:

    Me: I should get a housekeeper. Yung taga-linis lang at hindi stay-in. Di ko lang alam kung saan.
    Friend: Ask your neighbors, they would know people.
    Me: (pause)
    Friend: Let me guess, you don't know your neighbors.
    Me: (smile)

    Hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same here Faith, i don't go to church very often but I sometimes listen to Sunday mass on TV.

    ReplyDelete