Sunday, October 9, 2011

Day 282: A Quote and Atonement

The text is barely visible, I had a hard time focusing on it due to the light.  It says: We must be the change we want to see in the world - Mahatma Ghandi.  Which I completely believe in, but find a little more challenging to do.  Not when we are a society who seem to find fault easily, but never do anything about it.

I find myself wanting to see Atonement again today.  There is this one scene I remember so vividly, and I wanted to go back to it.  No, it's not the one in the library.  When Robbie and Cecilia met for tea before he left for war.  Robbie had been aloof from the start of the conversation, but when Cecilia said she had to leave in half an hour he said, "You can't".  I found it completely heartbreaking.  When you realize how much tragedy one lie brought to several people, it makes you wonder how strongly do we need to stand for the things we believe in.

How much to we push for a change to happen?  A change of mindset, a change of living, whatever kind of change you somehow think should happen, but isn't  If we cannot become these changes, then we somehow affect everyone who suffers because of it.  I'm probably exaggerating, but while watching that scene, I think of how they were never able to see each other again after.  Will the change I don't fight for impact others with the same kind of tragedy?  I wonder.

7 comments:

  1. Sis I was supposed to watch that movie and I downloaded it na but I decided to read the synopsis first and when I read na ganon ang nangyari, hala na-depress na ko and decided not to watch it na. But I will pa din someday.. Parang napaka-tragic nga kasi na one act or one lie can change the lives of others..Nakaka-depress talaga isipin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Gwacie: Sorry for the spoiler. I still recommend it, though. :)

    @Joanne: Medyo tragic nga. Ewan ko, siguro kasi nanood kami ng friend ko ng What's Your Number tapos kahit natawa ko, feeling ko nakakabobo. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this film, for me it's very moving. naiiyak nga ako nung sinabi ni cecilia na "I love you. I'll wait for you. comeback. comeback to me." :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naku... Napanood na yan ng mga kahousemates ko dito when my TV was still around. Kaya lang di ako nagwatch kasi malapit na yung exams that time. It seems maganda nga yung movie. I'll try to watch it after all my exams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the movie! Well, anything Keira Knightly naman pinapatulan ko haha

    I remember dun sa water bottle ko may nakalagay na Be The Change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @shoebox0fphotographs: Almost every scene na meron between Robbie and Cecilia, ang intense for me. Kahit yung simpleng magtinginan lang sila. You really feel for them. Favorite ko naman yung scene na I mentioned sa post, at yung confrontation scene na ginawa ni Briony to atone for her lie. And the ending. :)

    @Pink: Watch it, sis. Medyo heavy. Dapat nasa wisyo ka when you watch it. It's not easy to watch, but it's definitely a good film.

    @Dianne: I love it din. Although, I do not recommend it to depressed folks. Sabi ko nga sa friend ko, eto yung movie na pag pinanood mo e dapat nasa tamang ulirat ka. Kundi e baka pagkatapos e maglaslas ka na lang. :P I think Keira Knightly sometimes hits and sometimes misses. She hits this one right. :)

    ReplyDelete