Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Day 306: Antiquated

Today marks my first year at work.  Yay!  What's fascinating is, I'm facilitating a Foundations class on my first year anniversary.  The photo above is one of the journals I own.

Here's a thought I have after a year with my organization;  I used to think that joining a new company is like getting a new boyfriend.  There's an excitement very similar to what you feel when in a new relationship.  It feels very much like a honeymoon phase.  Interestingly, it doesn't feel like that with my organization now.  It was a start up when I joined and when I say start-up, I mean start-up. There were serious birthing pains involved.  It did not feel at all like a honeymoon.

It somehow felt like buying a house.  There's excitement, yes.  The fact that you're in a new organization where you have a gazillion opportunities to make a difference. It's exhilarating, if you think about it.  But just like getting a new house, sometimes you get the feeling that it's more trouble than it's worth.  Think of it this way, you go through sample after sample of flooring until you finally decide to get limestone, because it's aesthetically pleasing and it fits the interior of your house.  What you do not realize, is that limestone is a bitch to maintain.  Thing is, you can't really change your flooring again just because the upkeep is difficult.  This ain't like Sims 3, you know.  So you weigh it in.  Is getting new flooring worth all that trouble?  Or do you stick with limestone and deal with it?

Either way, you stick it out.  You don't let the house go just because the flooring didn't turn out the way you imagined it to be.  You stick it out because you know that it's a good long-term investment.  Ultimately, you also realize that at the end of the day, you're not just keeping a house.  You're already building a home.

6 comments:

  1. I love how you explained it! Don't worry sis, baka in the long run eh umok na si limestone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dianne: Eventually. I'm optimistic naman about that limestone. Haha... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the explanation, too! This is what I felt when I got my first job... because that time start up din siya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Pink: The last company I worked for before the current one, start up din when I joined them. This one's different, though. When I joined this company, wala kaming LAN connection. Wala pa kaming printer. I had to bring my laptop and get pre-paid internet cards to work. It was insane, but I'm proud of those things we lived through. And I hope this is where the buck stops. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sis I love love love your analogy!! Tama ka nga :) I love how you view things talaga. I love your sense of optimism even if sometimes you're having a bad day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Joanne: Thanks, sis! :) I wasn't always like this, pero I decided to shift perspective a couple of years back. Siguro kasi hindi na ko bagets. Chaka nakakapagod ma-stress. Nagca-cause ng fine lines. :D

    ReplyDelete