Saturday, December 17, 2011

Day 351: Kyla

Meet my godchild, Kyla.  She's not at her finest, but probably one of her funniest.  Watch her amuse herself while we wait for her dad to finish shopping.

People would sometimes ask me why I try to visit Macau every year.  There's the old world charm I talked about.  There's also the food I love.  There's the Venetian.  There's also an old friend that I visit.  Then there's her kid, who is my godchild.  Kyla, really is a good part of why I try to visit every year.  The first time I came to Macau was a month after she was born.  I've been there every year, save for one year, since.  I try to time my visits around her birthday.  Which, I also think is a perfect time.  The weather is slightly cool, but not too cold.  It's around the Mooncake Festival, and it's not as brimming with tourists as it would be around December or January.  During the first few years, I'd visit and take Kyla to the park.  Now, I visit and I take her and her younger sister to school before I go jog.

It amazes me how much she has grown.  She was a skinny little baby when she was born.  Everything about her was little.  Then she started watching Baby Einstein and got really smart.  She now speaks English, Mandarin and Portuguese.  She even teaches me how to say things in Portuguese using her iPad2.  Yep.  The kid's got an iPad2.  Let me remind you that she's six.  I tell her sometimes that she's getting so smart I don't know if I should be proud or scared.  It's a little difficult to say no to her, though.  I'd sometimes talk to her mother over FB and when she starts asking when am I going to visit, I start looking at my calendar and seeing when I'll be available to go on leave.  I mean, what do you say when she asks, "When will Ninang Faith take me to school?"  Seriously, how do you say no to that?

3 comments:

  1. Awww.... such a devoted godmother! Bow ako sayo sis. At ang layo ng hatid mo sa school haha I wish to visit Macau next year. Dadalhin namin yung 2 bulilit sa December. Mag-Macau na kami kasi alam na namin saan yung bilhan ng ferry tickets LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. ang cute cute ni kyla.. i can imagine.. merry christmas sis.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! Kids really grow fast nowadays. Can't believe na ang laki na rin ng niece ko.

    ReplyDelete