Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Day 348: Dim Sum Dinner

So, today is all about food.  We had lunch at Quinella, which is probably my favorite Portuguese restaurant in Macau, where I had my favorite fried rice with smoked salmon and crab roe.  After visiting Fisherman's Wharf and the Red Market, we bought takoyaki and more milk tea.  The takoyaki in mainland China is actually better, but it was a close match.  Compared to the ones I've tried home, which is a disappointment.  Takoyaki does not have ketchup!  It does not have banana ketchup or mustard.  It's not a freakin' hotdog.  I have yet to find out how takoyaki in Japan actually tastes like, but I'm sure it's not served with ketchup.

For dinner, I went to visit my friend's parents, who have always been like my own, and we had dim sum for dinner.  In an honest to goodness dim sum diner.  Complete with noisy staff and quarreling customers.  Notice how they were watching me take a photo of the steamer baskets in the background?  Tito explained that dim sum diners are more of tea places than restaurants.  At the same time, a typical dim sum restaurant would be the equivalent of a goto or pares place in Manila.  Do not expect fine dining here.  The experience is great, though.  Plus the dim sum could not have been any better.  Even the tea served with it is awesome.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! Never tried pa sa Macau pero dun sa HK, panalo lahat. I tried yung beef noodles nila and congee which were my target pag dating sa HK and I had the best fried dumpling sa resto na limot ko na ang name. At ang saya ko kasi every menu na makita ko sa mga resto eh may Ovaltine hahaha yun ang palagi ko iniinom kasabay ng beef noodles or congee.

    ReplyDelete